Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's the Little Things

Have you ever wonder about the secrets of touching someones life. Well, I have been reminded of this in the last couple of weeks. A high school buddy's dad had passed away. I went to the visitation at the funeral home and the memorial service. These were two events of three that I was reminded about the secret. At the funeral home, I would meet people that I have never seen before. Some would say, "Well, I finally get to meet you. You were mention so many times." Or others would say, "I have heard so much about you. It feels like I already know you." This happen on several occasions as I wandered around the room.  I was puzzled by this. Who were these people and how do they know me? What did I do? I'm just an ordinary fellow that is just traveling through life. I have not done anything extraordinary or special. I would ponder on this through out the week. As, this was on my mind another event happen in my life. This would be my third lesson on the secret of touching some one's life.
There was George, an elderly man and his dachshund named Oscar. Oscar is a lot like Oscar the Grouch.  He would fuss but he would willing accept a hug or a pet. George would walk with Oscar through the neighbor several times a day. We would exchange waves or greetings in the morning. Then later in the evenings on his walks. Oscar would bark at me as if he was telling me about his day. Then, I was able to pet him on his head. George and I would talk about little things like the weather or about Oscar. He would guide Oscar on their walk with a long stick like a shepherd's hook. Oscar would sometimes fuss back at George, but he would obey the commands. George always had a kind word,  a smile, and a wave for hello or good-bye. These two were a pair of kindred spirits. Well, I haven't seen George or Oscar for a week. I begin to wonder about them. This is where my reminder of the secret comes a full circle. I found out that George had passed away after a short illness. My days had not been the same without George or Oscar to see. I missed watching them wobble down the sidewalk, Oscar's bark, and George's wave. Those little and simple things made an impact on my day or week. I miss George and Oscar. I could always count on them to be there. It is here I realize what I had done to be talked about so much. Just like George and Oscar, I was there to listen, share laughs, and just be there. Its the simple things. The little things that bring the memories and love. The talk. The listening. The smile or laugh. Those things are the lasting things that are etched into our hearts and our minds. Those are special the things. That is why you are spoken about to others, because you were just there. My friend keep doing the little things in Life. And Thank You for doing them.

see ya

dog gone

Dogman707

No comments:

Post a Comment