Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Life Lesson.

It was June summer of "76" and I was working at the car wash. I was stationed at the drop off were the cars are loaded on the line to enter the wash. Today, I was on the passenger side vacuuming the cars and washing the floor mats. The weekends were the busiest times at the car wash. In the early morning you would get the older people, who have already completed their daily chores and are ready to relax. The late afternoon was busy with teenagers and college students. They were trying to remove the smell of pot and alcohol from their parents car that they borrowed for the day. Sometime it was the same car that their parents had brought early that morning to the wash. They have been spending the day at the park working on their tans, partying and trying to score a date for the night. On this particular day, it was crowded. People were line up, leaning on the wall, and watching us clean their cars. Well, there it was a Mercedes-Benz 450SL hard top convertible and the driver a young female college student. Well, needless to say that caught a 16 year old boy's attention. As you know, the hormones of a young man are just starting to kick in. This amazing thought came into my head. Here she was this bronzed beauty and I was going to make my move. She had golden blonde hair, blue eyes, and some curves a Ferrari would dream of handling. As I opened the door, the smell of pot and beer weaved out the open door. Those tan legs slowly glide out of the car and her hair gentle falls  out of its loose ponytail. It  was poetry in motion as I watch her slither out of the car and stand up. She was wearing short white shorts and a brown halter top that clinged ever so closely to the curve of her body. I was struggling to get the nozzle off the vacuum cleaner's hose to clean the blunts and cigarette butts out of the car's ashtray. I was not paying attention to exactly what I was doing. I was fixed on this beautiful young girl. I was planning my move from the minor league to the major league. Here I was going to the big league and catch a date with a college girl. You know the saying "Go big or Go home."  I was going  to the big league. Suddenly, the nozzle comes off! And the hose latched to my chin. With its tremendous force, it had a death grip of my chin. I was fighting that hose like it was an anaconda with a death hold of me. Everyone! Yes Everyone and I mean "The Girl" saw my fight with this beast. The struggle seem to last an eternity, but I final pried this monster from my chin. People were laughing, but all the blonde beauty did was give me a slight smile and a wink as she swayed ever so smoothly swayed into the building. That beast sucked the dimple out of my chin. Now, I had a Jay Leno chin that glowed red. Me and Rudolph could have guided Santa's sleigh through the foggiest night. It was a good thing my mouth was closed and my tongue in my mouth. The anaconda would have sucked it out of my mouth. This was the longest ninety minutes waiting for my shift to end. An old man that saw me lose the fight with the hose and he asked, "Hey son what's with the chin?" He laughed out loud as he shook his head. He said, "better luck next time". Every customer after that had grin on their face and a comment" After about the eighteenth customer I though to myself, "Why  didn't I go home ". I spent the next week at school explaining why my chin was red like a giant hickey. And almost as long for it to return to its normal shape. The bronzed beauty came back to car wash weekly till fall. She always gave me a hello and a smile. Did I try again? Or did I except defeat? Well, they say, If you first don't succeed try try, try again." Or, "if its too hot in the kitchen to get out". My friend I will let you ponder that thought. Let it simmer in your mind, "Did I try again or did I except defeat?" I will tell you there is never defeat just lessons in Life. Did I learn anything? Yes, I did. That is you never know until you try. Even if you stumble, fall or its a total disaster. You may have found something that does not work or that's not the path for you. But you can still achieve your goals even if there is some changes along the way. Even a turtle has to stick his neck out to get across the road.

See ya,

Dog gone,

Dogman707

No comments:

Post a Comment