Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Observations by Dogman707

     Well, I decided to have a little intermission  between chapters about Memphis. Early this morning I was driving by an old pecan orchard near the county penal farm. There was about a dozen people looking for pecans and gathering them as they found a good pecan. If you had the privilege of living in a big city that has a lot trees, you will know that squirrels are plentiful. As a child, we had two pecan trees in our backyard. It was the kids' job to gather all the pecans that they can before the squirrels got them. It was during these chores of gathering that I made this observation. You know the old saying birds of a feather flock together. It basically means that people tend to hang around with people of like mind. Well, my observation evolved and developed during one of this collecting of the pecans. I have determined that people need to be like squirrels. The city squirrels  were quick and smart. It was hard for us to find the good pecans. The squirrels had already picked the good ones. We would find a whole pecan and crack it open. It was rotten. Over half of the pecans that had fallen on the ground were bad. The squirrels had already culled through the pecans and collected the good ones. I wondered how did the squirrels know which was the good ones and which was the rotten ones. I pondered that thought and then I thought of how we select our friends. We need to be like squirrels and collect all the good nuts (friends) that we can. I got to say I have a rather good collection of nuts to help me in life. I will continue to look for and gather more good nuts as I travel through life. I will continue to store and rely on these good nuts when things get tough. You can never have enough. So, think like a squirrel and collect all the good nuts you can.

See ya,

dog gone

Dogman707


No comments:

Post a Comment